Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Feeling Out of Touch With God? Try This!

Sorry I haven't been able to post daily. We were on vacation and I'm now waiting for a new laptop AC adapter to be delivered. Until then, I have to borrow time on my husbands laptop.

What do you pray? There are many different ways to pray. Some people pray the same type of prayer each time they pray. Other people pray different types of prayer.

One of my favorite structured prayers is to pray the Bible. Pray scripture. It is simple. You don't have to think about what to say next. Never feel embarrassed about what you say. It is the word of God. This is my favorite way to converse with God. I believe it is the easiest way to feel the Spirit of God at times when you may feel out of touch with Him. It is an affirmation to God that you believe in the Word.

How do you pray the Bible?

Step 1: Find a quiet time and place. This may be the most difficult part.

Step 2: Pick a Bible Passage. A good one to start with is the Twenty third Psalm.

Step 3: Have a moment of silence. Imagine Christ's presence with you. He is always there. We just have to realize the reality of it. Be quiet in His presence for several minutes.

Step 4: Read aloud the Bible passage you have chosen. Read slowly and deliberately. Feel the Word of God as you read.

Step 5: Have a moment of silence to think about the passage. You may want to read it over again, think about the meaning and think about what the passage means to you and your walk with God.

Psalm 23 NIV

The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,

he leads me beside quiet waters,
he restores my soul.


He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,

I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,

and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.

This exercise is one out of The Workbook of Living Prayer by Maxie Dunnam. The first time I did this I was so moved at the amazing closeness that I felt to God, that tears streamed down my face. Whether you cry or not, I hope you feel the same awesome power go through you as I do, every time I pray the Bible.


4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome...I'm going to try that tonight. I find it hard to pray and find the words sometimes, but praying God's Word will truly help.

Blogger FruitfulSpirit said...

Very sound way to pray. I really like the little graphic to this post. How true that is.

Just stopping in to say Hi as I work my way through the CWO blogroll. Happy Thursday!

Blogger CJ said...

I recently wanted to dive into the bible, but I wasn't making time for it on my own. So I started a new bible blogger site and now I have others counting on me to post (and therefore read) prayers and bible text DAILY. Plus I've met some awesome bloggers.

www.biblebloggers.wordpress.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site. I love the pray helps. God Bless.

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG