Thursday, August 03, 2006
How do I Pray to Such an Awesome God?
Have you ever gone to God in prayer completely at a loss for words? I know I have. I felt silly about it for the first five seconds. I just sat there with my head bowed ready to pray but not really knowing what to say to such an awesome God. So that's what I prayed, "Lord, here I sit with my head bowed not really knowing what to say to such an awesome God." That is when I began my journey in prayer and let God lead me in my conversation with Him.

The structure that I use for prayer is given by the acronym "ACTS", representing adoration, confession, thanksgiving and supplication (or intercession.) This is one order, where we start off focusing on who God is, and praising him for that.

Adoration is to adore God, to worship him and to love him with all of our heart, mind and soul. As we spend time in adoration, we praise God for who He is - our Creator, our Sustainer and our Redeemer.

Confession allows us to clear away the things in the relationship between you and God which are displeasing to Him. All of us have sinned.

If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:8-9

We should constantly be thanking God for the blessings He gives us. Each moment God is blessing us, every minute we can recall the wonderful things that God has done for us, and the gifts that we have been given. In writing to Timothy, Paul makes it clear that we also need to be giving thanks for everyday, worldly things " I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." 1 Tim 2:1.

Supplication or Intercession. Finally we come to ask God for our needs and the needs of others. There are many things we can and should be praying for.

This is really just the beginning. Don't feel overwhelmed. God will lead the prayer even if the words come out of your mouth.

Start out by thinking what your prayer would be. Write it down. Keep it short and concise. Kay Arthur states in her book Lord, Teach Me to Pray, "God doesn't hear better just because we pray longer!" This I truly believe.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

footer2.JPG